Monday, May 14, 2012

Layered Pea Salad- Make ahead Dish

Usually when I say the word salad, my kids ignore me. When I say pea salad though, they actually get excited and can't wait to eat it. I don't know if it's the peas that get them or maybe the shrimp or bacon, but they eat it and that's all that matters to me!

When you make this dish, try and use a glass bowl. Because of the different layers and their colors, this dish makes a pretty display. Use this as a building block of your own version. You can add layers of shredded carrots, apples, pecans, etc. or subtract some that I have. Just remember to prepare it the day before you plan on eating it, the flavors of the final 3-4 layers need time to marry.




* Depending on your bowl size you may need to adjust the quantities

1 1/2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
1 cup cooked small pasta (I used mini UT Austin colored pasta)
1 cup small cooked salad shrimp
4-5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup mayonnaise
2 -3 tbs white sugar
fresh ground pepper
3-4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 green onions, chopped 

Layer lettuce to peas in order they are listed. Gently press down on top layer to pack. Carefully spread mayo, sprinkle sugar over mayo and add ground pepper to taste. Top with bacon, cheese and onion. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment