Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Quick, Easy and Inexpensive Meat Sauce

I'm a coupon shopper and am always looking for deals. I like to splurge on some meals and others, I just try to make it taste as if I did. This sauce cost me about $4.00 to make. I bought canned sauce, diced tomatoes, ground pork then added spices that I already had. Top spaghetti with this and you have a meal that will feed 4-6 people for under $5.00. Yes, you can buy sauce from a jar for less, but it won't have the same flavor that this does.


1lb ground pork
2 tablespoons basil leaves
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5 ounce can Hunt's diced tomatoes, sweet onion flavor
1 26.5 ounce can Hunt's traditional Spaghetti Sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil

Brown ground pork with basil, oregano, crushed red pepper and garlic. Add diced tomatoes, sauce, brown sugar and bay leaves. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer til sauce thickens, about 30 - 40 minutes. Before serving, remove bay leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment