Friday, November 11, 2011

Eggplant Parmigiana

When I was little and my family would go to eat Italian food, my mom would order eggplant parmigiana the majority of the time. I would watch my dad make a face and say it was gross but she always seemed to enjoy it. She let me try it one day and after that, I was hooked. Actually, I like anything that has the ending "parmigiana." That includes veal, shrimp and of course, chicken. But my favorite will always be the eggplant.

When making this dish I slice the eggplant lengthwise and about 1/4" thick. I don't use shredded mozzarella for the layers, only for the garnish. I try to use fresh cheese whenever possible and I slice it thick for better texture. When layering, begin by putting two slices, side by side, horizontally and the next two slices vertically. If you build the layers in this fashion the dish will hold together much better.







1 Purple eggplant
2 Eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
1 Cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 Cup Regular breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
32 Ounces prepared traditional pasta sauce
12 to 14 Thick slices GOOD mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375°

Put about 4-6 tablespoons of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish and set to side. In a shallow dish the same length of  eggplant, add beaten eggs and milk, stir. In another dish add Panko, breadcrumbs, basil and mix well. Remove eggplant skin with vegetable peeler and slice lengthwise into 1/4" thick pieces. 

Heat a skillet and then add oil for frying. Dip each slice of eggplant in egg wash then in breadcrumbs, coating each side. Fry in pan, 2 slices at a time, until sides are lightly golden. Place slices in bottom of baking dish and top with 6 tablespoons sauce, spreading evenly, then top with 2-3 slices of cheese. Continue breading and frying slices, two at a time, and layering until no slices remain. However, do not add cheese to last layer.

Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove foil, top with any remaining cheese and bake uncovered an addition 15 minutes. Let stand before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment