Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sweet & Tangy Baked Beans

My 14yr old son, Sam, has always loved the classic Beanie Weenies. In a rush I'll usually make them with store brand hot dogs and a can of Bush's Baked Beans. But if I've got time, like I did today, I'll make the beans from almost-scratch and use a better hot dog or sausage. What follows is my recipe for tangy and sweet beans. However, here are a few things you want to remember. While I have put exact measurements, you want to taste the sauce as you build it. When using canned tomato products, especially cheaper brands, you never know how tangy or even metallic tasting the tomatoes will be. You might have to adjust sugar and/or apple cider measurements. Also, I use canned beans because sugar can sometimes cause fresh beans, no matter how long they have soaked or cooked, to be hard.

One last note. You can substitute the apple cider vinegar for a good bourbon. I would have, but my husband decided to finish off what I had hidden away!





6-7 Slices Applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 Medium onion, chopped 
3 Cloves garlic, minced
3/4 Cup Ketchup
3/4 Cup Tomato puree
1 Cup Brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Agave nectar or honey
1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
4  15.5 ounce cans Navy beans

Preheat oven to 350°

In heavy saucepan, cook bacon til almost done, add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients except beans. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is heated thoroughly. Add beans and stir gently til evenly coated.

Transfer beans to a casserole or baking pan, cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove cover and cook an additional 15 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

**** NOTE****
If adding hot dogs, add at start of baking making sure to completely cover dogs with beans. Check dogs after 1 hour to make sure they have cooked through. Adjust time accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment