Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homemade Amaretto

I saw a recipe for homemade Amaretto in the weekend newspaper, so I said, "I'm doing this!" I decided to do a little research on the drink and looked at a few recipes on the Internet. I took what I learned and what others had tried and came up with this recipe.

My first batch seems to have good color, fragrance and the initial taste is also good. I'm going to age it for about a week then taste it again. I warn you, this is a recipe that is a work in progress but I think you should try it and have fun with it.



1 3/4 Cup Water
1 3/4 Cup White Sugar
3 Tablespoons Brown sugar
1 Teaspoon Anise Seeds
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
1 1/4 Cup Good Vodka

Bring to simmer, in a heavy saucepan, the water thru Anise seeds until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cover to allow seeds to steep. When cool, strain into glass container and add vanilla and almond extract, set aside.

In clean glass decanter, add vodka and above sugar mixture, mix well. As drink sits, separation may occur. Just stir before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment